Friday, July 02, 2004

The spell checker's lament
Do you get frustrated with your computer's spell checker? You're in good company, as the following poem by that ubiquitous poet Anon testifies:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Missteaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
Iam shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it’s weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

I found this poem at the homepage of The Grammar Goddess, Diane Sandford, who dispenses very helpful advice on things grammatical.
On the topic of computers driving you mad, incidentally, I can recommend a wonderful book called The Inmates Are Running the Asylum. Author Alan Cooper says when you feel like putting an axe through your computer screen out of frustration, IT IS NOT ACTUALLY YOUR FAULT. The problem is that computer software is designed by computer geeks, who do not think like you and me (ie, the people who have to use the things). It's an easy read, and will salve your soul no end. The Christchurch public library has a copy, so your local library probably does, too.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?